Reporting directly to, and providing managerial support to, the Managing Director with the development and implementation of a new HR strategy that ensures best practice and delivers equitable practices throughout the business.
In addition, the Group Human Resources / Health & Safety Compliance Manager will ensure that Balmers GM Ltd continues to function in a legal and ethical manner whilst meeting all its business goals and objectives.
You will be responsible for developing HR and Health & Safety compliance programmes, policies and procedures, and for periodically reviewing such policies and procedures and advising the Managing Director and other Directors of possible risks.
This will include strategic decision making to improve upon existing policies, procedures and systems and the implementation of change / new policies, procedures and systems as necessary.
The post holder will ensure strict adherence to the Companies Financial and all other standard Operating Policies and Procedures whilst maintain integrity and confidentiality at all times.
HUMAN RESOURCES MANAGEMENT:
- Ensure legal compliance by introducing, implementing and monitoring applicable human resource legal requirements and statutory obligations, conducting investigations, maintaining records, and generally representing the company in respect of all HR activities.
- Ensure that Health & Safety policies, procedures and working practices meet all the relevant legal requirements and statutory obligations in all areas pertaining to health, safety and welfare at work. This will include, recommended mandatory training, reporting and communicating relevant changes to Directors, Managers and all other employees.
- Manage the company’s human resources function by planning, implementing, and evaluating employee relations and human resources policies, procedures, programmes and practices.
- Ensure planning, monitoring and appraisal of employee performance by training managers to coach and discipline employees; scheduling management consultation with employees; hearing and resolving employee grievances; and counselling employees and supervisors.
- Ensure that all Health & Safety policies, procedures and working practices are strictly adhered to and are regularly reviewed, updated and communicated.
- Ensure that all accidents and incidents are documented, investigated and make recommendations to the Directors and Managers that ensure improvement.
- Ensure that safety inspections are carried out, fire drills and fire alarms are correctly recorded and reported, safety inspections, risk assessments and lone working procedures are introduced, managed, and updated as requires and that all employees are aware of their own responsibilities.
- Manage the risk assessment process to ensure that all reasonable steps are taken to protect the health, safety and welfare of all employees, contractors, clients and customers.
- Lead and guide the company through a successful ISO 45001:2018 (Occupational Health & Safety at Work) accreditation campaign and maintain an on-going accreditation status thereafter.
- Establish and facilitate a Health & Safety Committee, organise and co-ordinated meetings and ensure all agreed action points are completed within set deadlines.
- Provide professional and technical assistance to the Managing Director, Directors, Managers and all other employees in respect of compliance issues for the procurement of, and engagement of, external supplies and services.
- Manage and maintain the companies ISO 9001:2015 and ISO 14001:2015 project(s) accreditation status.
- Help the company to comply with all other relevant and current legislation and best practice, ensuring that any new legislative changes are brought to the attention of the responsible Managing Director in a timely manner for appropriate action.
- Play an active role in the development and successful attainment of company KPI’s.
- Advise the Managing Director regarding consistency of quality and environmental standards across the Group.
- Advise the Managing Director regarding relevant quality and environmental training programmes available to all staff as appropriate.
- Provide assistance with the composition of PQQ submissions and tenders to ensure a high standard and to pre-determined deadlines.
- Assist the Managing Director to ensure that processers needed for the Quality Management Systems are established, implemented and maintained.
- Assist the Managing Director with the provision of Performance Management and Quality Management systems and with regular reports to other Senior Management as appropriate.
- Help to establish and maintain systems which promote awareness of customer and client requirements throughout the organisation.
- Liaise with all relevant parties both internal and external on all matters relating to the Quality Management Systems operational throughout the organisation
- Assist the Managing Director to ensure that processers needed for the Environmental Management systems are established, implemented and maintained.
- Assist the Managing Director with the provision of Performance Management and Environmental Management systems and with regular reports to other Senior Management as appropriate.
- Help to establish and maintain systems which promote the provision of our services and products, and which have minimal or limited adverse environmental impact.
- Liaise with all relevant parties both internal and external on all matters relating to the Environmental Management systems operational throughout the organisation.
- Liaise with all Senior Management and assist with the maintenance of good waste management systems.
- Help to establish, promote and manage recycling policies throughout the organisation.
- Liaise with all Senior Management and assist with the development and implementation of good waste reduction / energy saving policies throughout the organisation.
- Ability to liaise confidently and coherently with the Managing Director, all other Directors and Managers with regards to all issues relevant to the duties of this post.
- Possess excellent numeracy skills being analytical and able to interpret data to produce clear and concise reports.
- Demonstrate strong influencing, leadership and coaching skills.
- Utilise telephone/voicemail/email/fax facilities disseminating information and ensuring that the appropriate action is taken, whilst maintaining the Company’s requirement to comply with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) 2018.
- Ability to develop and deliver in-house training for effective execution of Environmental and Quality Management systems.
TRAINING AND DEVELOPMENT:
- Ensuring strict compliance with the induction and training requirements of all staff including professional, trades, and administrative, junior and temporary staff.
- Co-ordinate and monitor the provision and attendance for work related mandatory training in respect of yourself and where appropriate other relevant colleagues.
- To attend appropriate mandatory training and participate in continuing professional development.
- To personally and actively participate in the annual personal development review process.
- To plan, organise and conduct personal development review interviews, where appropriate, and in respect of any staff for which you are responsible.
- To be responsible for ensuring accurate record keeping, archiving, production and upkeep of databases.
- Be able to work on own initiative and as part of a team, as this role will involve collaboration across all departments and depots.
- Be self-motivated and be improvement orientated.
- Have the ability to work at any Balmers GM Ltd depot, customer or consultant facility and from home, as the need dictates.
- Ability to deal with a demanding workload in a detached and professional manner.
- To maintain confidentiality in all aspects of your duties including customer, client and staff information and personal data.
- To assist in maintaining accurate detailed records and to complete and return all relevant statistical data.
- Using the Microsoft Office suite maintain an up to date, accurate and effective database of all employee and any relevant, client and customer contact details.
- To communicate and reinforce departmental systems associated with health and safety; risk assessment, equalities, security; first aid; fire etc., to new and existing members of staff and in conjunction with all relevant Balmers GM Ltd policies and procedures.
EMPLOYMENT ACTS AND CODES OF PRACTICE
All employees are required to comply with all relevant employment legislation and codes of good practice.
EQUALITY & DIVERSITY
We are an Equal Opportunities employer and will do all we can to make sure that job applicants and employees do not receive less favourable treatment because of their age, sex, marital status, faith, race, disability or sexual orientation, or for any other reason that is not justified.
HEALTH & SAFETY
In accordance with the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974, and other supplementary legislation, all employees are required to follow Balmers GM Ltd Health and Safety policies and safe working procedures, take reasonable care to avoid injury during the course of their work, and co-operate with the company and others in meeting statutory requirements.
SUSTAINABILITY AND CORPORATE SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY:
Balmers GM Ltd attaches great importance to Sustainability and Corporate Social Responsibility. It is the responsibility of all members of staff to ensure that the Company’s resources are used efficiently with minimum wastage throughout their daily activities.
Employees are required to report every incident where the health and safety of yourself or others has been jeopardised (including near misses) and to carry out or participate in investigations into such incidents as directed.
GENERAL DATA PROTECTION REGULATION
All members of staff are bound by and must act in accordance with the requirements of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) 2018.
RULES, REGULATIONS, POLICIES, STANDING ORDERS & FINANCIAL INSTRUCTIONS
All employees are required to comply with the rules, regulations, policies, standing orders and financial instructions of the company.
Key performance objectives, development needs and compilation of a Personal Development Plan will be discussed and agreed at Annual Development Review meetings.
OUTSIDE EMPLOYMENT / OUTSIDE INTERESTS
Any other work or outside interests must not conflict with or compromise your duties and responsibilities or, your ability to attend work as an employee of Balmers GM Ltd. In accordance with legislation on working time, it is a condition of employment that all staff must secure the written consent of their line manager before taking up any private practice, work for outside agencies or other employers.
It is also a condition of your employment that your outside activities or interests do not compromise or conflict with the ongoing day to day business of Balmers GM Ltd.
REVIEW OF JOB DESCRIPTION:
This is not intended to be a definitive description of the duties of the post. Due to the commitment to continuous improvement, it is likely that the post will develop and change over time.
These duties will be subject to regular review and any amendments to this job description will be made in consultation and agreement with the post holder.
STANDARDS OF CONDUCT
Conduct business with regard to values underpinning the Company’s Vision “To be a trusted and respected Company providing the best possible quality driven service to every Customer”:
Pay Grade: Band 23-27 (Monthly Salary) Circa £35,000 to £40,000 per annum.
The post holder will be expected to work flexibly within their pay band. They are only expected to carry out activities for which they are competent. Alternatively, they may carry out additional duties if they are receiving support or training in order to obtain the recognised level of competence.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please send your CV with a covering letter to:
Mr David Balmer – Managing Director
Closing date for applications: 31st May 2021
Trading for over 40 years, Balmers GM have grown to become one of the largest dedicated turf machinery dealers in the UK.
From our depots in Burnley, Lancashire and Wakefield, West Yorkshire, we stock the latest new and used turf machinery for sale or hire from the industry's leading manufacturers, along with a full range of aftermarket solutions; parts, service and finance.